What causes blood in urine after chest injury?

Posted on Wed, 12 Apr 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I took a fall and hit an object on my side under the rib cage and stomach area. Some pain but not too much. About an hour later, my uine was brown and has been since- 3 hours. I'm on blood thiner and wondered if the brown urine was caused by a bleed out, tho there's no such evidence. Does it seem to be something i should have checked out if it continues for another couple YYYY@YYYY hours?
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not the fall that is causing this kind of situation...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I will be answering your questions.
The fall on the object in your stomach area under the ribs is not causing this situation. Let's say for example that the fall is causing this. The blood in the urine would be red. And since you are on blood thinners it would go for hours.

The brown discharge that you describe might be due to the blood thinners but in most of the times, it's a symptom of urinary tract infection or some problem with the kidneys.

Before starting to be worried, please start having plenty of liquids, 2 or 3 liters per day. It should clear the urine. If the brown discharge continues then you should do an ultrasound, a urine routine microscopy analysis and renal function test (blood tests) to determine the cause.

Wish you good health.

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact me.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Endri Katro 21 minutes later
Thank you for your speedy reply. This cares for my immediate concern. I'm also taking a Super B Complex supplement which causes my urine to be bright yellow, but never this brown color. Will do as you advise and proceed from there if urine doesn't return to normal soon.
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Happy to be of help

Detailed Answer:
Hello back.
Thank you for the good words. Glad to know that with my answers, I'm helping you.

If you don't have any clarification, please close the query and rate/comment.

Get well soon.

Wish you the best of health.

Dr.Endri Katro
Sorry to be back with another question. Urine now is lighter but reddish probably indicating blood maybe from the kidney that was where the impact from the fall hit If this is the case - blood from the kidney- would this change your advice as to needing immediate medical attention or should I just continue to drink lots of water? Thanks.

Brief Answer:
I still don't think that the hit damaged your kidneys

Detailed Answer:
Hi back. It is your right to ask all the questuons that you need.

I still don't think that your kidneys have been damaged by the fall. To damage the kidneys, the trauma would have been at ypur back. Also you would feel a lot of pain in your back area if this has happen.If your kidney have been damage you would have blood in your urine,red blood not lighter reddish.

Our kidneys produce around to 80 to 100 ml urine each hour. Since you do not have red blood in your urine,i still suggest to not worry right now. Wait a couple of hoirs before going to the ER. If your urine turns red (like you are urinating only blood) than you need medical help as soon as possible.

Regards.

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Endri Katro 1 hour later
Thank you for advice and encouragement. Will keep this discussion open in case something happens in the next day or so. Then will close and review your helpful information.
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let me know for everything new

Detailed Answer:
Hi back.
As you said,for everything new that might happen tell me.Don't hesitate to ask any kind of questions.

Regards.

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon