What causes blood in the urine if kidney stone and infection are ruled out?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 6 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: My daughter has microscopic blood in her urine. She is 30 years old and just had a child. She is prone to kidney stones but that has been ruled out as well as any infections. Her stomach and sides hurt and a CT scan has found nothing. She is worried it could be cancer. Any idea what it could be?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Probably cystitis.

Detailed Answer:

Hi and welcome!

Well, in her age, cancer is the last thing to think of.

First, it may be microlithiasis which is not seen in CT scan. Second, most common causes are cystitis or urethral irritation.

If she had cesarean section then it is possible that blood is seen in urine due to injury of bladder during the surgery. And also, prolonged vaginal delivery may lead to bladder injury as well.

If CT scan doesn't show hydronephrosis or kidney cysts then there is no need to be worried.

She should drink plenty of fluids, raspberry tea and avoid salty food and red meat.

I suggest to do urine culture and STD tests. If this is fine then she should do MRI scan to rule out some smaller stones.

Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein,
General Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T