What causes blood in the stool and what should be the coarse of action to get it diagnosed?
May not be due to serious cause but need to be seen.
Blood with bowel movements can be alarming to see for anyone. Though it may not be due to a serious cause in some persons, it is best to be seen by your doctor for assessment.
This assessment would include a full history of this and any related symptoms plus examination of the abdomen, rectal examination may also be necessary
Stool may need to be sent to the lab. Your doctor may also suggest imaging of the colon (a scope), if none has been done recently.
In many cases, not due to a serious cause, but need to be checked.
The different causes, some of these are--
(1) hemorrhoids- in that case, bright red blood is often seen on wiping as well
(3)divericulitis- this is inflammation of the diverticula- diverticula are outpockets or outpouches seen in the colon, they are common and not cancerous. They can become infected or inflamed and this is called diverticulitis
(4)infection such as diarrhea due to some bacteria
(6)side effect of medication such as meds to reduce clotting
(7)polyp- benign (non cancerous) growth
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes loose stools with blood in it
- What causes blood in stool of infants
- What is the cause and treatment for blood in stools
- What causes blood in puppy stool
- What causes coagulated blood in the stool
- What causes green stool
- What causes blood in stool of a baby
- Blood in stool black stool sometimes what is the cause
- What is the cause of blood stains in the stool
- What are the possible causes for blood in stool