What causes blood in the stool and what should be the coarse of action to get it diagnosed?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had blood that last 2 times I had a bowl movement. What causes that and what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

May not be due to serious cause but need to be seen.

Detailed Answer:

HI,

Blood with bowel movements can be alarming to see for anyone. Though it may not be due to a serious cause in some persons, it is best to be seen by your doctor for assessment.

This assessment would include a full history of this and any related symptoms plus examination of the abdomen, rectal examination may also be necessary

Stool may need to be sent to the lab. Your doctor may also suggest imaging of the colon (a scope), if none has been done recently.

In many cases, not due to a serious cause, but need to be checked.

The different causes, some of these are--

(1) hemorrhoids- in that case, bright red blood is often seen on wiping as well

(2)trauma

(3)divericulitis- this is inflammation of the diverticula- diverticula are outpockets or outpouches seen in the colon, they are common and not cancerous. They can become infected or inflamed and this is called diverticulitis

(4)infection such as diarrhea due to some bacteria

(5)bleeding disorder

(6)side effect of medication such as meds to reduce clotting

(7)polyp- benign (non cancerous) growth

(8)cancerous growth

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions