What causes blood in stools?

Gastroenterologist
Question
For the last three days i am noticing bleeding while passing stool. Having pain also. Please suggest.
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably due to anal fissure

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
Blood in stool along with pain during defecation could be due to anal fissure.
Anal fissure is a condition in which there will tear in the anal verge. It usually occurs due to constipation.
You need to take high fiber diet consisting of lot of vegetables and fruits, drink lot of fluids, take stool softeners and do sitz bath.
You may also require topical medications to relax your anal sphincter.
I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.

Follow-up: What causes blood in stools? 11 hours later
Thank you Doctor.
Can you please suggest some particular diet also.
And is there any need of medication? If yes then please suggest me some.

From medical shop i took anti constipation syrup named Cremaffin.

Is there any need of medical examination or medical tests.

I read about sitz bath, so i can take this bath using normal salt and XXXXXXX warm water at home. Is there any particular medicine that i should use while taking sitz bath.

Also will you suggest for medical operation to permanently treat this?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
1. Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in the diet. Avoid refined cereal grains such as maida. Drink plenty of fluids ( a liter or two water is essential).
2. I prefer syp lactulose over cremaffin. You can use it temporarily 20ml at night for not more than 2 weeks
3. Physical examination will be really helpful to understand the problem and to set up long term treatment plans.
4. Surgery may or may not be required. You can discuss about it after physical check up.
5. XXXXXXX warm sitz bath is preferable. You may or may not add some salts to it.