What causes blood in stools?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For the last 2 days my anus has been itching and hurting and today when I had a bowel movement and when I wiped there was traces of blood mixed with feces. I had a colonscopy in 2007 and I didn't have any polyps and was advised to have another in ten years. I am usually constipated but I have been taking a probiotic for the last 5 days and my stools are much more loose. I worry about colon cancer, I don't have as much as an appetite has I have had but had been dieting. I am 66 years old and believe I am in good health. I don't have a history of hemroids either. I don't know if I should let this go for a few days or consult my dr, it feels like a burning sensation.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Over the age of 50 colonoscopy should be done every 10 years if there is no symptoms. Over 50, colonoscopy should be also done (no matter when was the last one) if any symptoms like blood in stool, weight loss, thin stools appear.
Blood mixed with stool is for sure not caused by hemorrhoids (hemorrhoids give trace of blood on the surface of the stool).
So answering your question, yes you should consult your doctor. Waiting is not a solution as colon cancer or polyp can bleed only from time to time. Colonoscopy needs to be done to rule colon cancer out.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.