What causes blood in stools and pain in lower right side of stomach?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi I have my 9 y/o grandson with me he has some pain on the lower right side of his stomach bright red blood in his loose stools. he has a history of fissures(?)slight
cut inside
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fissures

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question. If you are able to visualize the fissure, I recommend applying am antibiotic ointment (ie: bacitracin, neosporin, etc...) three times per day to promote healing and prevent infection.
The right sided abdominal pain may be a little more tricky. If it is accompanied by fever, or vomiting, or both. We have to think about appendicitis. If the pain has been going on for more than 2 days, then appendicitis is ruled out. If not, it is still a possibility.
One test you can do at home is to ask him to jump. If jumping worsens the right sided pain, it could be appendicitis. In this case I recommend consulting with your doctor immediately.
If the jumping doesn't worsen the pain, it is most likely a stomach virus and we have to let it run its course. In this case, hydration and time are all that is needed.