What causes blood in stool?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi, I'm 18 year old male and have health anxiety so it's probably nothing but I want to be sure. I noticed there was blood in my feces earlier when wiping which seemed to come from inside. I later used a tissue and insirted my finger up to see if there was anything and there were tiny traces of blood but I'm not sure if that was because of insirting my finger. I just want to know if there is anything to be concerned about and if not what to look out for in the future. Thanks :)
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
stool for occult blood.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.,

There are a few things to consider when a person says he has blood in the stool.

The first thing is if it is really blood. There are some food and industrial chemicals that might be in stool and give the impression it is blood and in fact, it is not. Unless it bright red blood (which is clear that it is blood). Other times the way to know if you are bleeding or not is having a stool occult blood test or a stool microscopy that will confirm the presence of blood with the stools.

Generally, blood coming from higher levels (stomach and small bowel) converts into a dark coal black colour due to the changes the blood has in the bowel. It is the bleeding from lower parts (colon) that will show as bright red blood.

Have you ever had a colonoscopy done?

A CBC would be a good test to be done if you suspect bleeding to see if you are developing anaemia as a complication of bleeding and need treatment for it or not.

So to conclude:
1. we need to be sure you are bleeding or not- a stool test like faecal occult blood test and or stool microscopy for blood will help in this.

2. if it is confirmed that you are bleeding then you will need a colonoscopy to find the cause of it.

3. if you have bright red blood while defecating (passing stools) this might also be due to haemorrhoids which are mostly due to constipation so in meantime please make sure you take extra fibre with diet and drink plenty of water.

4. if you had any massive rectal bleeding than an urgent visit to a doctor is needed.

I hope this is helpful and answers your questions but please feel free to reply in case any more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Follow-up: What causes blood in stool? 18 hours later
Hi, thank you for the detailed answer! I've had a couple of poops since the last time we spoke and I found nothing. if there was something to worry about would it happen every time or occasionally, thanks :)

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stool for occult blood to be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again my dear,
See go for a test called stool for occult blood.It can detect even traces of blood also.
If thisctest is negative then there is no need to worry.You just need to deposit your stool sample for this test.