• question-icon

What causes blood in stool?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello recently my blood count is low,the blood test show i have internal bleeding, my doctor order the stomach and colonoscopy check up the result is normal but show that i have internal hemorrhoid, when i go to the toilet my feces still have blood in it ,before my feces are black now it red ,what is my problems ?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding fresh blood is due to internal hemorrhoids.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
Blood in stool is because of hemorrhoid.Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in your anus and lower rectum. straining during bowel movements or from the increased pressure on these veins the vessels burst causing blood to spill out in stools..
Treatment depends on grade of hemorrhoid as per colonoscopy-
Grade I hemorrhoids are treated with conservative medical therapy and avoidance of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and spicy or fatty foods.
Grade II or III hemorrhoids are initially treated with nonsurgical procedures
Very symptomatic grade III and grade IV hemorrhoids are best treated with surgical hemorrhoidectomy.

Options available are-

1)Rubber band ligation: Rubber band ligation (RBL) is a simple, quick, and effective means of treating first- and second-degree hemorrhoids and selected patients with third-degree hemorrhoids. Ligation of the hemorrhoidal tissue with a rubber band causes ischemic necrosis and scarring, leading to fixation of the connective tissue to the rectal wall.

In case if this is not successful then we have invasive surgical procedures like-

1)Hemorrhoidectomy: Excisional hemorrhoidectomy is the most effective treatment for hemorrhoids with the lowest rate of recurrence compared to other modalities.Success rate is more then 90%.

2)Stapled hemorrhoidopexy-A circular stapling device is used to excise a ring of redundant rectal mucosa proximal to hemorrhoids and resuspend the hemorrhoids back within the anal canal.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist