What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Lump
Question: I think I have anxiety. I had haemorrhoids and a 4,6 cm intramural fibroid a few months ago. However I am afraid of colon cancer even none of the doctors said that . It is because I have random spotting(rectal? vaginal?) after bowel movement. It happned about 3-4 times over the last few months. Do you think spotting is due to perimenopausal spotting or haemorrhoids recurring or intramural fibroid. Other than these "bleeding" I feel fine. Do you think I am over worried?

sorry my FSH is 47 , not 4.7
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

You are a bit overworried, but of course, this is understandable since blood in stool is possible sign of serious issues especially in people aged 50 and more. The best solution would be to do stool test on occult bleeding and if this is positive then it means that bleeding comes from colon so colonoscopy should be done. If this is negative then this is possible vaginal bleeding and then curettage may be necessary. These tests will rule out malignancy and then you can have frequent follow ups once in 2 years.

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj