What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Yesterday i had a bowel movement and was straining a bit and a large piece of feces came out. The 2nd one was quite as large but this time i noticed a few droplets of bright red blood. The next morning i had another bowel movement. The first 4 that came out - med size - indicated not blood but the 5th came out with some droplets of bright red blood. Later in the day I had another bowel movement and 2 pieces of feces came out. I noticed a few droplets of blood and some cover the outside of the feces. Picture is attached. I went to see my doctor who did a rectal examination and mentioned but not sure, that there could be an internal hemerroid. He did make a referral to a specialist just in case though. I have no other symptoms and so could this be hemrroids? There is no noticable pain when making a bowel movement. Again I have no other symptoms. What can I do and how can I prevent this? I know that my eating habits has been lacking fibre and trying to improve this. How long will this take to heal?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer.....consult a surgeon for examination and diagnosis and keep your stools soft
Detailed answer....
I have  read your query and understand your concern.
Your symptoms do match the diagnosis of internal haemorrhoids,however it needs a proper examination and assessment by a surgeon.
As far as keeping your stools blood free is concerned,it can be achieved by avoiding constipation and keeping your stools soft. 
What to do.....
Take lot of fibre by consuming more of green vegetables and fresh fruits.
You can even take psyllium husk 15 gms with one glass of water every day before going to bed.
Drink plenty of water
Do regular exercises as it helps  in voiding stools easily.
In case these methods don't help you,a laxative like lactulose syrup 30 ml can be taken in night.
Take some B COMPLEX vitamin twice daily for 7-10 days to take care of your ulcer in mouth.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana