What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello Doctor,
Getting blood in stool when I don't sleep for 3days continuosly properly(not 8hrs), If I have good sleep next 2days then again it is normal.
All the blood tests are normal and I don't see any difference in my health.
Kindly suggest.
What could be the reason and what caution I should take?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get done stool examination, ultrasound examination of abdomen.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
First of all, there is no connection between sleep and blood in stool.
Blood in stool should be first confirmed by stool examination. Most common cause for blood in stool is piles, fissures, constipation, intestinal polyps, ulcers etc.
So we should first confirm that you are having actual blood in stool.
So first get done stool microscopic examination and stool for occult blood.
Another important investigation is ultrasound examination of abdomen to rule any intra abdominal pathology.
If all these reports are normal then no need to worry much.
Few dietary tips like
1. Drinking plenty of fluids orally
2. Avoid oily spicy, junk food
3. Avoid constipation etc are important for healthy gut.
So apart from blood investigations, please let me know if you have done above mentioned investigations or not.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana