question-icon

What causes blood in stool?

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017
Question: my 18year old son, otherwise very healthy, had blood in his stool. he has a good diet, exercises, stool was otherwise normal and this was the first time. i've schedule a physician appointment; should i panic?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!

I read carefully all his concerns and I can say as follows:
1. usually in his age symptoms like bllod in stool are due to anal hemorrhoids or anal fissure.
2. This is why to my opinion there is nothing to be in panic.
It is a good choice to see a physician to better determine his issues.
Otherwise I would suggest to avoid constipation by using plenty of water and high fiber diet.
Meantime he can use Preparation H to improve his symptoms.
Wosh him fast recovery.
Dr.Klerida
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist