What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I woke up at 2 am this morning with stabbing stomach pains. I have had to go to the bathroom several times. I either pass small amounts or a normal bowl movement. There has been some light red blood a few times. I also had the chills. I no longer have chills but a headache and of course I feel very weak. When I go to the bathroom there is also cramping.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to see doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Blood in the stool is always a concern and especially if it is accompanied by pain. Hemorrhoids are the most common cause of rectal bleeding but the rarely cause pain.
There are many possible diagnoses here, diverticulitis, obstruction, appendicitis, colitis, infections and tumors.
The chills and headache make me think it is more likely infectious, but it is impossible to tell without an exam.
Please stay well hydrated and see a doctor today if possible. If you cannot get in to see your doctor it would be good to go to an urgent care or to emergency. These things can be serious and need to be sorted out as soon as possible.
Dr. Robinson