• question-icon

What causes blood in stool?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: 55 yr old white male no prior health problems just started working out 2 monthsago and now have blood in my stool. it appears that the blood is in the veins of the stool and the blood sometimes seems to have dripped into the toilet when i was on it

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hemorrhoids are the most probable reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are most likely caused by hemorrhoids. Its very common reason of blood in the stool. Especially if the blood is not mixed with it.
You may also have itching around the anus. Hemorrhoids are usually caused by constipation and bad diet.
As you are over 50, other large intestine issues must be ruled out. That is why colonoscopy is the first thing you should have.
Secondly you can try OTC suppositories for hemorrhoids along with fiber rich diet. If this wont help, surgery can be the best treatment for you. But first please get scheduled for colonoscopy.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon