• question-icon

What causes blood in stool?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi! About 6 months ago i went to the gastro doctor since i was having right side cramping discomfort. He did a full examination and testing and said i was fine. It was IBS or stress/muscular. He did a rectal examination and checked the stool and all normal. 6 years ago i had a colonoscooy and it was fine. He didnt feel i needed one again, sonogram all normal. I am 35 and said im still young. Now the pain has subsided but i notice a little burning in my stomach lately. Not sure if its bc ive been havimg lots of tobasco sauce on everything and salsa and lemon juice. But i also noticed like one little piece of redness in my stool. I showed my mom that is a practioner and she said it doesnt look like anything and could be the salsa. This happened twice this week. Its like the color of tomato sauce not dark or anything like that. Do you think this is fine? When i called my actual doctor he didnt think theres a need for another rectal exam. He said could be the salsa or nothing. Is this true and he wasnt concerned bc the stool wasnt dark it was light brown.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried...

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Klerida Shehu gastroenterologist and I am glad to assist you further.
1.You are reporting to have noticed red pieces on your stool plus stomach burning sensation.
The diet that you have used recently like tobacco, salsa, and lemon juice may aggravate the symptoms of IBS.
With regards to red pieces in the stool , there is nothing to be worried . The y are related with foods like salsa or tomatoes etc. So to my opinion there no indication to repeat colonoscopy.
2. with regards to burning stomach it may be related with mild gastritis aggravated from your recent diet.
For the moment you should avoid using spicy and fried foods.
If the burning sensation continues than you should start PPI's use like Prilosec and perform upper endoscopy.you
If you have other concerns I would be glad to assist you!
Dr.Klerida

Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 30 minutes later
Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome
Dr.Klerida
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist