question-icon

What causes blood in stool?

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: Hi. My boyfriend has experienced a few episodes of bloody stool. We've also noticed a decent amount of weight loss over the last few months (15 pounds). He has also described a general discomfort and unhealthy feeling at times (fatigue, often unsettled stomach). This is seeming to point towards a problem. I'm seeking to gain an idea of how serious and if it is time to see a specialist.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Let him see a Gastroenterologist!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this bloody stools that your boyfriend has had. His age makes this less likely to be real issues of concern such as cancers and polyps. This seems to be more suggestive of benign conditions such as hemorrhoids, colitis, constipation related, etc. I will suggest that he follows up with a GI doctor for comprehensive examination and investigations. He would at least need to get a stool exam. Depending on findings from initial exam and stool exams, more focused and targeted investigations can be considered.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Ivo Ditah