question-icon

What causes blood in stool?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: Bowel problem: Stools are soft and thin, with blood, most times the blood is clotted, this has been going on for a couple of days and is consistent every time I have a bowel movement.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (54 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You could be having hemorrhoids!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this blood in your stools. I have reviewed this information fully and it is suggestive of a possible hemorrhoid(internal). I will suggest that you get it evaluated by a proctologist/gastroenterologist for confirmation of diagnosis and management. We should be absolutely sure that we are not missing out on anything. I will suggest that you increase you fluids, fruits, fiber and vegetable intake as well as regular exercises too improve on bowel health.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah