What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What may be the cause of red blood in my wife's stool. She just started this six days ago. No cramps. But, has some pain in the kidney area that she thought came from exercise at the gym. One kidney was born mis-placed (eptopic kidney) and sometimes has caused pain, in the past. She had fibroids in the past that doctors say have disappeared. She became, painfully, allergic to wheat, about 18 months, ago. She is allergic to peanuts. Has had weak clotting for most of her life.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs colonoscopy

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I and pleased to assist you.

Red blood in stool indicates probable bleeding from the left colon. Some of the common causes of bleeding per rectum include hemorrhoids, anal fissure, diverticulosis, inflammatory bowel disease and malignancy.

If colonoscopy was not done already , it may be planned. It will help to know which of the above mentioned is causing the bleed.

I hope that answers your query.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 24 hours later
I think we found an answer. Since, she has low platelet count and doesn't clot easily, a doctor told her that if she takes ibuprofen, this could happen. She has taken 6 straight days of 800mg ibuprofen for her back pain. She has topped taking it, now, to see if that was her problem. Thank you for your input.
Best regards,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Ibuprofen could have precipitated it.
But the source of bleed should be found out.

So it is prudent to get a colonoscopy done.

Dr.R.K.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj