What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 31 Aug 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I feel normal (no nausea or temperature) and have eaten normal meals all day and generally feel okay but experienced apparent bleeding from the bowels (I thought I had diarrhea). It has subsided now but I don't know if this is a medical emergency or not. I have been in good health generally (with treated diabetes and prostate cancer) and not experienced any such symptoms before.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up if symptoms recur. Blood per rectum always to be evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. With a single episode of blood in stools mimicking diarrhea is likely innocuous and can be ignored but if it is recurrent then it needs work up like colonoscopy and digital rectal examination and other baseline work up like coagulopathy profile etc to sort out the blood per rctum cause.

With history of diabetes, prostate cancer and radiation exposure, Probability of diabetic gastroparesis and radiation colitis and age related colonic function decline all make the symptom of blood in stools worth assessing and evaluating. if you get one more episode of blood in stools go to your doctor let them work you up and sort out the cause.

Meanwhile dietary modifications, plenty fiber and fluids and good bowel habits will make sure your bowel stay healthy.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan