What causes blood in stool?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Small amounts of red blood in stool. Always in same place in stool, on the right side so to speak. Had a Cat Scan done, lots of blood work ... everything came out fine. I did start a new job, and there has been alot of stress. The Doctor at the Hospital said everything looked fine, and I was not kept. It's been a week now, and this a.m. I had a small spot of red blood. I am on a baby aspirin a day. I told her all these things. She said I had IBS. small amount of cramping below navel on right side. I might have days when there is no blood?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
P/R, Proctoscopy and Colonoscopy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate self-explaining history.

History of red blood ( meaning fresh) in stool, always on the right side, off and on, and you are on baby aspirin.

By the history you have provided I can think of a few possibilities:
-Ist or II nd degree pile on the right side
-A small polyp on the right side of rectum or anal canal
- Fissure not possible as the site is always either on the back or in front

The easiest and the best way to get this diagnosed id to undergo Per-rectal (P/R) and Proctoscopy examination and Colonoscopy by Surgical or Medical Gastroenterologist

The treatment will depend upon the findings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 20 minutes later
Thank you so much, for your advice. Being I had a Cat Scan, and Doctor was very happy about the results, if it would have been something worse, would the Cat Scan have shown it. Thank you for trying to help me. Also, my hemoglobin was very good.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CT scan shows cancer

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you have noticed this very correctly.
The normal CT scan of a person who is 57 years, the Doctor will be very happy as the first diagnosis with the history you provided is Cancer.
Yes the CT scan would have shown Cancer, diverticulitis and polypi, enlarged lymph nodes and so on

Good Hemoglobin is an indication that the bleeding is very minimal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 14 minutes later
I Thank you very much, for the services and Doctors that try to help us. Very pleased. The Doctor, was very good at explaining, and I so appreciate his time.. Thanks again very much. I will follow up with family Doctor, but still appreciate all your help.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.