What causes blood in stool when diagnosed with IBS?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi there,

I am generally in good health. I have " IBS " and sometimes it acts up and sometimes it doesnt.
My question is about I think blood in my stool which I have attached a picture. I get that every so often and I had a Sigmoidoscopy within the past 6 months and it was fine. I did press hard before going to the bathroom. Could this be a hemroid which popped? I don't please advise and see the attached picture. I do apologize for the pic as its not a clean pic. My next stool was about an hour later and completely normal. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to strain induced local bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems to be strain induced local bleeding and may be due to hemorrhoids but that can only be confirmed after a local per rectal examination or sigmoidoscopy.

As blood doesn't seem to be mixed with stool but to be coming along with stool. Also, if it had been from upper gastric tract than it would have been loose stools with dark black color which isn't the case. The hard stools refer to constipation which can trigger haemmorhoidal bleed.

It's better to have a coagulation profile check for reassurance . Using stool softeners like syp Lactulose and probiotics as well as local glycerine suppositories and fiber rich diet may help.
Please consult a protologist/ GI-surgeon to get a rectal examination and/ sigmoidoscopy.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 39 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

I just want to do confirm that I did have this in the past and I had a sigmoidoscopy and it was normal. I did press hard yes for the stool, however the second time about an hour later I didn't press hard and it was normal. I do suffer from Anxiaty in situations like this. It probably is a hemroid even though inhale zero symptoms of hemroids . Does that make sense? Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Constipation related strain can trigger that

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback.

Yes it can be a first incidence and might have been triggered by the strain due to constipation.

Previous sigmoidoscopy in the past can even be normal. A repeat sigmoidoscopy is recommended.

A local per rectal examination before that, may also reveal the cause on the spot. It's quite manageable once the cause is known so it's better to be worked up soon.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 44 minutes later
Ok thanks. The gastro doctor only has available in a month so thanks
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
A surgeon review can also be sought

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. If gastro doctor is not available, a surgeon can also he appropriate for a per rectal examination and a sigmoidoscopy. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 48 minutes later
Thanks. just to update you , I finally reached my Gastro doc and he said nothing to worry about. Had the test in August 2015 .Said Hemroids pulled to hard. He said to keep an eye out for it. What do u think Dpc?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hemorrhoids is a strong possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing the details. In my opinion with the picture you have shared, the blood quantity in it can't be ignored and strong possibility of haemorrhoids still exist. It should ideally be ruled out. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 22 minutes later
I agree Dr Sass is,
Would it be that critical if I wait a month and see how it progresses? since then two stools and zero blood. Last opinion? Thank you once again
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for another episode

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing your concerns. Yes you can wait for another episode and if that is experienced it's better to get an early review than waiting for a month, else you can wait for the planned follow up. Regards.