What causes blood in stool and hard stools after a kidney surgery?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello Sir, I have undergone surgery for kidney stone and my left side stent was placed. After operation day till three days i had suffered from constipation. From fourth day there was no problem in passing of stool. On seventh day there was blood in motion and stool is some what hard, Shall i take lacti fiber now. Please give me ur advice Sir
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow the advises.. maintain a healthy lifestyle..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Now the Left Ureteric Stenting for kidney stone has nothing to do this problem of yours, but there can can be some post-operative analgesics as well as prolonged fasting which are having this kind of side effects..

Can you please upload or simply copy paste the list of medications that you're on post-operatively as well as currently ?

Have you experienced this kind of motion problems previously also ?

Your Occupation history please ?

Now you've mentioned blood in motion, so what color was it ? Bright red or blackish ?

Do you have / checked for any kind of haemorrhoids ?

Any other medical / surgical problems ?

Please take your time and answer those questions so that I can guide you in a better way..

In the meanwhile keep yourself well hydrated by drinking at least 3-4 Ltr of water..

Instead of lactfiber , I'd advice you to take natural probiotic like yogurt and whole food items which are quite high in digestive fiber.. Also take a lot of green leafy vegetables..if despite taking all these , still you feel hard motion then you may take the lactifiber, but natural ways are always the best so just give it another day..

Avoid spicy junk foods and eat simple home cooked meal..

Let me know if you have any further queries in this regard..

Remember not to strain during passing motion as over a period of time they tend to cause bleeding, so practice safe bowel habits.. Taking Sitz Bath for 2-3 time a day in XXXXXXX warm water will help you..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee