What causes blood in stool after surgery for umbilical hernia?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had umbilical hernia and been bleeding in stool since even after surgery. What moght be the cause of it? Dont habe any family history that I know of tjat might raise questions.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Logical to see gastroenterologist. Colonoscopy and

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand how disturbing this could be. Bleeding in stool should really not be a direct lesion caused by surgery. Indirect consequences of surgery could present as such.

It is important to note if you have suffered from any gastritis or peptic ulcer disease before. Surgery stress could aggravate this condition and could lead to bleeding. but this is usually accompanied by a past history of upper abdominal pain.

Some drugs like non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs could cause gastro intestinal bleeding. It is very important to note if this bright red blood or dark or brownish/old blood. Bright red blood would imply the blood is from the lower gastrointestinal tract like from the anus, rectum or sigmoid colon. This would af course not be related to surgery. IN case of dark brownish and foul smelling stools/blood, this should be originating from the upper gastrointestinal tract (stomach and duodenum). Stress and drugs could be responsible in this case.

I buy the idea of seeing a gastroenterologist , doing a colonoscopy and a upper gastrointestinal fibroscopy would be imperative in this case. Avoiding any drugs irritating the stomach would be important. Avoid steroids and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj