• question-icon

What causes blood in stool after heart surgery?

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My father is having blood in his stool 5 days after heart surgery and beginning warfarin.
He is being transported to the hospital now. Why is this happening?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome

Detailed Answer:
Warfarin causes coagulation changes and makes blood thinner so it can cause easier bleeding in gastrointestinal,respiratory and any other system. Fortunately,such bleedings are in most cases not serious and are selflimiting. In his case,there was probably some polyp or vessel in colon which ruptured and continued to bleed because of warfarin. So he should do colonoscopy and check rbc and have transfusion if necessary but in most cases it isnt. Also while on warfarin,he must check his prothrombine time frequently. wish you good health. Regards
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon