• question-icon

What causes blood in stool after a colonoscopy procedure?

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Took half cup of prune juice and five hours later had a stool but blood was in the stool and comes out with the stool. Some on tissue and in stool. Just recently had a colonoscopy and no polyps
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can be due to colonoscopy.

Detailed Answer:

Stool that is red or maroon colored because it contains blood is called "hematochezia." The brighter color of the blood is because it is coming from somewhere lower in the digestive tract (like the colon anus or the rectum).
As you had a colonoscopy recently it can be due to the procedure itself.
Some time colonoscope causes mild erosion of mucosa layer of rectum and anal canal.
This erosion acts as a bleeding point and causes mild blood loss especially if person has history of constipation or strains during stool.

Suggestion-
Intially go for test called stool for occult blood to see if its blood or not.Stools can be red due to prune juice also.

Please answer-
Do you feel constipated?
Do you strain during bowel passing?

Waiting.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 45 minutes later
Not constipated and no strain.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
can be due to prune juice.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Go for stool test red color can be due to prune also otherwise wait and watch if red color repeats itself even after 24-36 hours its blood(As food ingested takes almost 36 hours to be excreted).

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist