• question-icon

What causes blood in sputum?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had some blood in my spit this morning. it was fresh bright red blood. I think I may have caught my throat with my toothbrush. every morning I have to clear my throat and chest of phlegm. what could this be as I am concerned. thanks
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to thin bacterial biofilm formation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. Your problem could be due to thin bacterial biofilm formation. This will be present in the morning and it may bleed little when you clear your throat.
For avoiding this you can keep water in mouth for 15 minutes and spit out after brushing early morning after getting up and and before bed time. This will decrease the pathogenic bacteria. Taking vitamin C chewable form 100mg daily is also good for this.
If still this continues then have an examination with ENT specialist to rule out problems like chronic pharyngitis.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to hep you.
Thanks.
Dr. Nishad BN