What causes blood in sputum?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a fever two weeks ago and was coughing quite a lot. When I felt better I noticed a streak of blood in my sputum and a couple of times more.its been two weeks now and I've seen my primary care doctor over a week ago and went also to a walk in clinic they just listened to my lungs and told me my lungs sounded clear. I am not coughing or feeling sick right now. I am just a bit anxious.It has happened about 5 times on and off . A streak of blood mixed with sputum.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
haemoptysis common in infection no worries

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Blood in sputum aka haemoptysis with associated cough and fever for two weeks is a classic presentation of respiratory tract infection. If you are not immunocompromised which I am sure you are not then infection is the most likely cause.your lungs and it's functions has already been assessed and pointed clear.and the steak of blood you are worrying about I want to sooth your nerves that it is quite common. And innocuous one and does not worth worrying. If the sputum repeats blood in it I would suggest a culture of it though just to be on the safer road and rule out some chronic troubles like tuberculosis etc.
Rest assured you are in safe hands. Just finish the antibiotics you have been prescribed with and take symptomatic remedy for cough. You will be good as new sooner than you think.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX I just want to point out that my doctor did not prescribe antibiotics. And my coughing has been reduced by 90 % but I still experienced blood streaks one today and once 3-4 days ago. He listened my lungs over a week ago and A nurse practitioner listened to my lungs a week ago and they both said it sounded clear. Thank You Doctor
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries better be on safer road

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back
There should XXXXXXX a little assessment with sputum exam and and antibiotics should have been prescribed there was no harm in it. Repeat pulmonary functions test in follow up after a week and get chest x ray and sputum analysis just to be on th e safer road.
Rest resolving symptoms is a good news and music to my ears.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX