What causes blood in sputum during pregnancy?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,

My wife is 30 week pregnant and recently she observed blood during spitting. It happens sometimes only (once in 2-3 days). What could be possible reason for it? Whether it is normal during pregenency?

We will have an appointment with gyne on saturday? If it is serious, should we look for early appointment with her?

thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
investigations advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir thanks for trusting health care magic again.
It is though not normal in pregnancy but if in small amount and intermittent then not serious either.
In my opinion get the following tests -
- bleeding time
- clotting time
- platelet count
- liver function tests
- prothrombin time.
These are very simple and basic tests and will be done in one go with just one blood sample.
You can meet your gynecologist as scheduled with reports.
Till then ask her to use a soft brush and take lemonade as many times as she likes and citrous fruits like orange.
This is most probably due to either vitamin C deficiency or gingivitis.
Both of these are commonly seen in pregnancy and in case all above investigations are normal then nothing to worry.
All the best.