What causes blood in semen?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: What does it mean to have blood in your semen?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
an infection usually

Detailed Answer:

in most cases this is caused by an infection. A urinalysis may provide additional clues. Symptoms are expected in such cases (common lower urinary tract infection symptoms like burning during urination, etc). Urine cultures may become positive.

The cause is rarely a malignancy but in all patients older than 50 years, a digital rectal examination and PSA measurement is recommended. The rest of the evaluation depends on the symptoms and findings of lab testing.

In some cases no cause can be identified and this condition is self-corrected within a couple of months.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!