What causes blood in semen?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: what does having blood in ones semen mean.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
in many cases, not serious

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blood in the semen is called hematospermia.

There are different areas involved in semen production- the seminal vesicles, prostate and also from an area called the epididymis.

Blood in the semen is most often related to conditions of the prostate or seminal vesicles.
In most persons, there is no serious cause and it can resolve on its own.

In other cases treatment may be needed. Some of the causes requiring treatment may be: (1) prostatitis - infection of the prostate
(2)cancer of the prostate
(3)cysts in the seminal vesicles
(4)urethritis- inflammation /infection of the urethra which the passage way for urine and semen partly through the prostate
(5) trauma
(6)other viral or bacterial infections
(7)severe uncontrolled high blood pressure, liver disease, bleeding disorders

Urine analysis and culture for infection and a PSA to check the prostate would be the initial tests considered
In some cases an ultrasound may also be needed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions