What causes blood in semen and bleeding before urination while taking Brilinta?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: On a daily basis I have been taking Brilinta (Ticagreloor) 90mg Tablet PO BID for over two months. It was prescribed to me after I underwent an interventional procedure of inserting one DES stent; segment 20;vessel OM. I also am taking 20 mg of Atorvastatin; Ramipril 2.5mg and ASA 81mg tablet.
Just last week I noticed a small release of blood clots when I ejaculated and since than I have been releasing a few drops of blood before the main stream of urination. A urine test is in progress and in the meantime I have been prescribed antibiotic- cipro? Pl clarify
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The bleeding is probably caused by Brilinta!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this bleeding from the urethra that you have reported. I have reviewed your information fully. Brilinta is used to prevent blood from clotting. This means that you can easily bleed from anywhere in the body. Because of this, the blood you have reported is more likely to be related to a side effect of this medication and not an infection. I will suggest that in addition the urine test, you should get a full clotting profile to see how easy it is for your blood to clot. This way, you may need to get the dosage of your drugs adjusted.

Cipro is not a bad idea but an not convinced this is an infection. For now, continue the drug and when more information comes in, your doctors would adjust the treatment accordingly.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ivo Ditah