What causes blood in nasal mucus?

Question
Hello doctor ,
I am 38 years , Female mother of 2 kids aged 6 and 8 years

I had running nose for the past 2 - 3days .thick mucus used to come every 4-5 hours . but i was o,.k with it unless I realised that by yesterday evening blood also came alongwith the mucus .
What must be the reason?
Also in the morning when i had gone to my daughters school, after i came a slight pain in the left side of the body was there and the pain lasted till 2-3 hours .
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like a viral

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It seems like an infection of the respiratory tract, most probably viral. But you have not mentioned if you have fever and other symptoms. Please tell me in detail, all the symptoms you are having. How much blood you are getting with mucus?

Having blood with mucous, can be a sign of inflammation of respiratory tracts. It is usual to get blood during infections and allergies. But if the infection does not clear in 10 - 14 days, then you will need to get tested in detail.

For pain, you can take pain-killers like ibuprofen (if it is bothersome).

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: What causes blood in nasal mucus? 4 days later
Hello doctor ,

I did not have any other symptoms of fever , thats why i did not mention.
Now the mucus is cleared and there is no blood also. It got automatically cured .
As you said above the blood must be due to inflammation of resp. tract only.

And the pain in the left hand and chest also subsided . It occurs occasionally but when it comes it lasts for atleast 5 hours .

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tell me in detail about chest pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I need to know more details about your chest pain, so that I am better able to help.

Chest pain can be from many causes. The important ones being cardiac (heart), lungs, lining of lungs inflamed, rib pain, etc.

Thus I need to know where exactly you feel the chest pain?
How bad is the pain?
What does it feel like?
What brings it on?
What worsens it Eg, touching, breathing, exertion, etc?
What makes it better?
Any other detail that you would want me to know.
Have you gotten your blood tests done? If so please upload the reports.

It is better to get an ECG done to rule out cardiac condition.

Waiting for your response.

Dr Vaishalee