What causes blood discharge from the navel?

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor,

Looks like a little blood has oozed out of navel of my 13 days old kid. The cord had detatched around 5 days back but this is the first time a little blood has come out. I cannot observe any recurrent blood flow as such from navel. Can you please confirm if this is normal or a reason of concern?

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. After the navel falling off occasionally minor bleeding may occur. Since the bleeding (oozing of blood) has stopped spontaneously nothing needs to be done about it. You may apply some antibacterial like neosporin ointment topically over the navel for the next few days.

In case the oozing occurs for a few more times you would need to consider taking the child to a doctor and giving a shot of Vitamin K since its deficiency can often lead to such a bleeding.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician