What causes blood discharge from the eye?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I did NOT have NY INJURY TO MY EYE. Just got up one morning with blood in my right eye. Was getting shots in my eye from an eye Doctor. He told me last week to go to my Family Dr. and get a referal to Blood Spec.
Dr. because I have something in my blood that is causing my condition. Went to family Dr she was very upset
and told me to go back to the eye Dr. I know all the nasty cancer that can cause this. And do not understand
why I am not getting answers. I am an adult female 79 years old and have gone through a lot in my life and
I just want the truth. What are the main causes?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It Could be multifactorial

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
If injury is ruled out the blood in the eye could be multifactorial.
Could I know what shots were given to the eye and for which problem?
If they were steroid shots then we have the reason as steriods could cause thinning of the capillaries or blood vessel in turn causing the bleeding.
Do you have any other symptoms like headache? Are you hypertensive if yes is it under control?as uncontrolled hypertension could also cause this .
I would also recommend you to get a blood test of coagulation profile to rule out any coagulation disorder.
Also please ask your ophthalmologist to check if you have had a vitreous bleed also.
Meanwhile don't panic start taking vitamin C supplement like chewcee or Limcee once a day it will help the blood to be reabsorbed again .
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy