• question-icon

    What causes blood clots on the left leg?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello my wife suddenly aeeing few black blood clot spots in her left leg calf. Its kind of she was hurt with something but she doesn't remember. She said she got the same sometime back. Thr is little pain on those spots but we want to be sure what are those if she was not hurt. Attached photo.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seem Subcutaneous bleeds

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.

I have seen the photos. The two lesions are in different stage of healing and are of different colour, therefore its most probably subcutaneous bleed.

Such subcutaneous bleeding can happen from injuries, low platelet count, vitamin C deficiency, anticoagulant medicine, pregnancy. In case of no significant past history of bleeds in her or her family, medicine intake or nutritional deficiency etc , it is most probably due to injury. Do let me know if she has any relevant medical history.

I suggest that you get a complete hemogram (check for platelet count) done. Also aPTT and PT can be done. She can take 2-3 Limcee tablets per day and see if it resolves. Take adequate fruits and lime water.

If it spreads or increases in size then its better to consult a dermatologist.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 49 minutes later
Thanks doctor for ur detailed reply.
She was pregnant and dwlivered a baby 10 months back. After that she had back pain and she carries baby in arm standing for extended hours.
Please let me know which department of doctor should I visit - general physician or her gynac?
And the tests PT & PTT - is doctor's recommendation reqd?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can see a gynecologist or internal medicine specialist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I am guessing that she is still breastfeeding. Most probably she is iron deficient or low oestrogen (female hormones). Iron deficiency will show up in complete hemogram. Low ostrogen is part of the hormonal changes of breast feeding and is not of concern.

If it is concerning, then you can visit a gynecologist or internal medicine specialist for further tests. Yes get the tests done after consulting doctor because they will be better able to tell which tests are specifically required. Otherwise in XXXXXXX doctors prescription is not compulsory for these tests.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 7 days later
Ok thanks doctor
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 18 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks and take care

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Answered by
Dr. Vaishalee Punj

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 2372 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Back pain

doctor1 MD

Hellow doctor My name is Reshma Chavan I am 32 yrs married having 1 baby boy 2 yrs....I am working in a pvt firm. since last 6 months i am having...

doctor1 MD

I have had multiple viruses infections etc in the last 6 mos the last one started off as a throat infection and ended up having mastitis now I have...

doctor1 MD

Female, age 56, height 5 9 , weight 198 lbs. Six months ago I fell on my right side from a standing position ( my foot slipped sideways on a...

doctor1 MD

My husband has had cyatica (sp?) pains for the past three days...lower back pain, radiating down the buttox to the lower leg. Tonight, it has...

doctor1 MD

I get a lower back pain which is excrucitating right after my cycle ends.its remians for 4-5 days. And have to take painkillers.Its very...

doctor1 MD

very small amount of brownish discharge after wiping, I finished my period just under 2 weeks ago, although I can't be precise. any reason for this?

doctor1 MD

I am 77 and take heart disease medications. I have lower back pain , am fatigued and joint pain. Suggestions?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

187 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Vaishalee Punj
  • Q - Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...

  • Q - Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...

  • Q - Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?

  • Q - Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...

  • Q - Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...

  • Q - Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...

  • Q - Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...

  • Q - What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?

  • Q - Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...

  • Q - Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...