What causes blood clot in the uterus?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi my name is XXXXXXX Iam 31 years old I had a medical abortion last month and went for a follow up the gyn says I have a blood clot in my uterus and said I should get a d&c but when I went back to plan parenthood they told me I don’t need a D&C I’m confused then I went somewhere else to get a second opinion the dr tells me he only sees a thin strip on the sonogram should I go and get a d&c or is it normal to have clots in uterus after medical abortion
Thu, 14 Jun 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need the uploaded report.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
I need to look at the ultrasound scan images.
Please upload the report to me, only then can I comment further.
If there are clots in the uterus, yes, a D and C is required.
But it also depends on the size of clot.
Sometimes, it may have got passed out on its own, and then only a thin stripe is seen, wherein no D and C is required.
Looking forward to hearing from you.