Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes blood clot discharge in urine?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
This morning, at 11:45 local (Ottawa ON) I witnessed a blood in urine event. Actually it was mostly a huge clot and then a steady 5-7 second stream of what appeared to be straight blood, no urine. About an hour ago I had another event. This time a small clot and a mixture of blood and urine. I have some slight discomfort in my left testicle and an itching feeling in my penis. Okay do I report to my nearest hospital emergency ward now or wait until I can contact my doctor?
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
better to show in emergency ward

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

I read your query and understand your concern .

since you have passed blood clot and had 2 episodes means you may have active bleeding inside. So I would suggest you to show in emergency room where they may check your coagulation profile and start you on drugs which will control active bleeding and also guide you for further investigations to know the cause and treatment.

At your age and so much blood in urine possibility suspected may be bladder /prostate cancer which has erroded a vessel.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil

Follow-up: What causes blood clot discharge in urine? 19 hours later
Thank you. I have contacted my local medical people after a visit to the emergency department. They did not regard the incident as an emergency and referred me to my family physician. I have been under what they call a 'prostate cancer recurrence' since my treatments several years ago. No reason for me to be overly concerned.

Again, thank you.

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:

I am glad that I have been of some help to you. If you don't have any further queries you may close this discussion and rate the response.

Dr.Deepika Patil