What causes blood blister on arm?

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had what looked like a blood blister on my arm on top of an abscess and a couple of small white circles by it yesterday but this morning it burst, it wasn't blood filled had thick dark yellow puss instead but the skin underneath now is black, I cleaned it really well incase it was residue but its the skin itself that's black, what should I do about it?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us on HCM.

From review of your history and picture its seems you have got a type of bacterial skin infection (Impetigo or Ecthyma ).

One or two occasional episodes is okay but if you are getting on regular basis then it calls for through investigation. I would like to rule out any systemic condition like diabetes or any immunocompromised condition. A thorough consult with your dermatologist should be scheduled at the earliest.

I would like to recommend a short course of oral antibiotics after culture and sensitivity. I would also consider a 15 day course of higher antibiotic like Rifampicin which will take care of carrier bacteria.

Regular dressing may be required with topical desloughing agents and antibiotics

Topical antibiotic should additionally be applied over external nares, navel, urethra, anus and nail bed, the potential sites of carrier bacteria. Use triclosan based soap for daily bathing.

Hope this will take care of your issue.
Do update me about your condition after 3 weeks.
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj