• question-icon

What causes blocked sensation in the ear?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi. I have a blocked ear, it's not wax, I'm taking XXXXXXX spray. I'm supposed to be flying today...should I risk getting in an airplane?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Use xylometazoline nasal spray

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting the query

If you are sure that there is no wax, then, the other commonest cause is Eustachian tube block. Eustachian tube is the connection between the nose and the ear. Due to flu/nasal allergy the Eustachian tube gets blocked, causing pressure imbalance and sense of ear block.

As you are flying, you can use xylometazolin nasal spray available OTC. You can use this spray 1 puff in each nostril, 1 hour before the flight journey and half hour before descent.

Do not try to blow the nose.

Hope this answers your query. revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist