• question-icon

What causes blocked nose and hearing loss after surgery for cholesteatoma?

Posted on Thu, 15 May 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have been operated for Cholesteatoma post which my allergies and sinus attacks have worsened. I have an issue where my nose gets blocked and I lose hearing especially on the ear that was operated. In past when I consulted ENT i was informed that this is due to Nasal block i am treated with Predmet 4 along with antiallergy Lukofast MX ... is there a better solution available to treat the issue which sort of keeps on recurring, I heard that taking Singular everyday helps not sure how it works. I take medicine for Hypertension (Olmy H) and also undergoing treatment for Panic Disorder (Nexito 5) and currently wiegh 116 kgs and have a sedentary life style and required to travel frequently
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Descriptive

Detailed Answer:
Surgery for cholesteatoma is unlike to aggrevate allergy or sinus problem.
it is the other way round that sinus or allergy will affect the healing process in the tympanoplasty which is a part of cholesteatoma surgery.
Nasal blockage is common in allergic patients due to trubinate hypertrophy. Sinus disease will lead to obstruction and is because of mucosal hypertrophy.

you are being given anti allergic and steroids for controlling symptoms.

so, please see an ENT and xray PNS may be required.

Also, the increased symptoms can be because of some drugs which may have been used during and after surgery.

Usually steam inhalations and anti allergic/steroid nasal sprays help in controling the symptoms.

Anti allergic tablets help but for short duration and spray form of treatment is required which is better with less side effects that oral steroids which you are using now.

Hearing loss post cholesteatoma surgery is common as the unhealthy bone is drilled out and ossicles which are eroded in most of the cases and are removed. A reconstruction may or may not be done as a first stage procedure. So hearing loss is common.

Second stage reconstruction is done many a time.

Feel free to ask another query.

Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist