Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

What causes bloating,constipation,headaches and body aches afte gluten intake?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 13 years ago. I had become violently ill while going to school and went in to see a doctor. They ran some test and had found some damage in my small intestine that they said was not major but could be crohns disease. They also concluded that I had IBS. The first few years I did my treatments, but the treatment seemed to make my condition worst. So I stopped, I started a food journal and began to cut out all the foods that seemed to make me sick. Within the first year I had managed to cut out all the foods that made me sick and was able to manage my crohn's disease completely through diet. As long as I follow a strict gluten free diet I control my symptoms and managed to stay totally med free in regards to my crohn's disease. If I eat any gluten I find that I get extremely bloated, constipated, headaches, body aches, muscles cramps and spasms, and the list goes on. The last couple of years I started to suspect that That there was a possibility that I was misdiagnosed since all other I have met with crohn's can't seem to completely "cure" their disease with diet alone. I am wondering and beginning to think I need to go and get other test done to see if my suspicions are true, but to be honest am a little worried since I haven't really been able to get doctors to listen to me in the past. So I was hoping that a doctor here could give me some good advice on how to go in and tell a doctor that I suspect that a mistake could have been made and what I may actually be suffering from, cause I no longer think it is crohn's disease. Thank you
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. Hesitation to see a doctor is completely understandable given all the symptoms you have had to deal with over the past years. By your own insight and experience you've discovered that gluten containing items are what exacerbate your symptoms – this is more consistent with celiac disease rather than Crohn's disease. The diagnosis of Crohn's disease is most frequently made either by examining more than one set of biopsies or by observing a successful response to therapy for Crohn's disease, neither of which you experienced, it sounds like. It seems like you have all the components needed to re-evaluate your diagnosis and any reasonable physician should hear what you are saying very clearly. It might be helpful to obtain your medical records from your previous encounters but this is certainly not required. There is a blood test that can be performed to check for celiac disease (anti-tissue transgluraminase antibody). Also another endoscopy might be considered. If these tests are not mentioned, please bring them up with the physician and be very clear that you have been suffering with this and would really like to get some answers on the matter. Good luck and take care. Dr G
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes bloating,constipation,headaches and body aches afte gluten intake? 37 minutes later
Thank you for such a fast and complete answer. It has helped a lot. I am wondering if they are going to have to make me eat any gluten food in order to do any of the new test. I would if I had too, but any foods containing gluten cause such terrible responses in my body that the idea of doing it causes a lot of fear and stress.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: Hello again, There is no reason you should have to eat gluten-containing food to "prove" it causes you to feel ill because there are other modalities to test for gluten sensitivity. I'm glad this has been helpful & I hope you will soon have complete answers regarding your diagnosis. All the best, Dr G
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor