What causes bloating in the stomach?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: concerned about the stomach: very distended. little food consumed to day because of " feeling full" and bloating.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dyspepsia.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query.
Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate and start fermentating producing large amount of gases.These gases compress the intestines hence giving a feeling of fullness in stomach;on the other hand as the bowel habits would not be proper the undigested food in the intestines as told above starts to ferment and would lead to the excess gas formation.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.
Let me know if I could help further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng