What causes bloating, black stools and severe gastric pain after a colonoscopy?

Dr. Tayyab Malik

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have extreme gas pains and distended stomach area. I can actually watch my stomach rise like bread when having the pain. My age is 70, female. The pain feels as though I'm having a heart attack. My doctor had a cat scan done with liquid I drank and one administered through an IV which showed no issues. I once was told after a colonoscopy that I had inflammation of the colon, colonitis, on both sides but was told there was nothing there with my next colonoscopy. I've also had severe, blackish and watery stools. I've been taking a probiotic, I seldom eat dairy but do drink from a straw often.
Answered by Dr. Tayyab Malik 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further Details and evaluation needed

Detailed Answer:
hi.
firstly, i apologize on behalf of HCM team for late reply.
thanks for posting your query at HCM.

i have gone through your history and found:
1. resolved colitis
2. bloating
3. "black watery stool"

referring to bloating,
i want to know,
1. did you have any surgery recently?
2. is your gall bladder intact or removed in the setting of gall stones?
3. did you experience the bloating episodes before?
4. do you have a history of peptic ulcer disease?

referring to black stool:
( if you are passing black stools since a considerable time now....)then...
i would recommend you to undergo upper GI endoscopic examination to rule out any lesions in the upper GI tract.

Upper GI endoscopy is usually indicated if heartburn and/or pain is associated with any one or more of the following :

Anemia
"Loss of weight"
Dysphagia ( difficulty swallowing)
Melena ( "black stool")
loss of appetite

wish you good and sound health.

look forward for your answers
thank you

regards
Dr Tayyab Malik
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng