What causes bloating and intermittent stomach pain?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had bloating and some stomach pain intermittently for the last week but this has worsened the last two days. It is predominantly under the ribs and down the righthand side. I have taken parocetamol and Buscopan but still have a lot of discomfort. Since taking the Buscopan, my stools are very loose and a pale colour. I am 78 years old.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bile ducts obstruction is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As you have pale stool (which definitely is not from Buscopan), most likely you have gallstones in gallbladder and in bile duct.
I suggest you to visit ER. Otherwise a serious inflammation can appear which without a treatment can be fatal.
Abdominal ultrasound, blood work, urine test should be done. In case of stone in a bile ducts, ERCP procedure should be done.

Hope this helps.
Regards.