What causes bloating and constipation post colonoscopy?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Yes, I had a colonscopy in May/ since then I have been bloated and constipated... went to MD/ who has had me take polyethylene/ prior to that I also took over the counter laxatives... no relief from bloating... I'm 5'6 138 pounds/ 53 eat right and work out
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medications and lifestyle changes can help

Detailed Answer:

Bloating is largely caused by intestinal gas. Intestinal gas can result from eating gassy foods. Swallowing air while eating is often done unconsciously and may result in frequent belching during or after meals. To avoid swallowing air, slow down when eating, don't 'slurp' drinks, and don't talk while chewing. Also try to avoid chewing gum, hard candy, carbonated beverages (such as soda pop), and drinking through straws. but foods that commonly cause gas are – asparagus, broccoli ,Brussels ,sprouts ,cabbage cauliflower ,corn fructose ,lactose, potatoes , sorbitol and wheat.

In most cases there is no treatment needed as such except for symptomatic relief.

Along with polyethyelene gasex tablets are also effective relief provider.

To expel intestinal gas, try a brisk walk or other form of exercise. Frequent exercise can help keep the intestines moving properly. If exercise fails, try laying quietly on your left side and bring your knees up to your chest. This position can sometimes help release trapped gas.

Avoid sleeping immediately after food or late night snacks.

For constipation- increase fiber diet, increase water intake, avoid addictions if any, avoid junk/spicy food, limit nonvegeterian diet and maintain regular food habits.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju