• question-icon

What causes blisters on the feet in a diabetic?

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 70 year old diabetic and since December, I have had blisters on my feet which have turned black and no matter What I do, they have not healed. it is difficult for me to wear shoes because of pain. I cover them if I have to go out but when I return and take the covering off, the scab comes off and I always see puss. I must say that the original blister shrunk in size but is still about the size of a pea. The newest blisters are about 2 to 3 weeks old. Please direct me or tell me what to do.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to do a full evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hello ! Thank you for using HealthCareMagic .
I have gone through your question and I understand your concern.

I would suggest to go to your local doctor so that s/he can have a look, examine your foot thoroughly and as per the findings, initiate a proper treatment.

The blisters may be caused by your shoes that keep rubbing your feet. If there is yellow liquid coming out from the blister, means that it is infected and you need to use antibiotic ointment.

They don't heal entirely because the high glucose level (diabetes) prevent the full healing , so check your blood sugar if it's too high, then it needs strict control as well.

The black part that you've mentioned, is most likely an old blister or could be ulcer .
You need to have a complete examination by your local physician to prevent further damage of your feet, it's very important, if its necessary he /she will clean the damaged part of your foot (ulcer) to induce fast healing .

Meanwhile please follow these advises :

- Don't use tight shoes that damage your feet (use always soft sole, soft fitting shoes that are comfortable for your feet),
- always were socks and don't walk barefoot.

- Wash your feet with XXXXXXX warm saline water every night, dry them and put a bandage on your blisters, don't touch the blisters , keep them always clean.
-When you sit down try to your feet raised.

Hope I have answered your question.
Let me know if you have any other clarifications, I will be happy to help.
Take Care !
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Rudina Balliu