• question-icon

What causes blisters on legs?

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: During the past several months, I have had two blood blisters roughly the size of a quarter below on the front of each of my legs several inches below the knee. I drained the first one of blood and it is now almost completely healed. Now, I have one on the other leg. What is cause and recommended treatment. No pain from either blister.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis

Detailed Answer:

The blisters you have could be due to inflammation in the hair follicle. Most of times the inflammation is secondary to bacterial infection. Sometimes non specific inflammation or viral infection too can cause such blisters.

I would like to have a look at the lesion you have.

Please do upload a image of the blister you have.

I shall reply after looking at it.

Waiting for your response,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Dear Doctor XXXXXXX

Don't forget my age! Upload?

I have a cell phone and took a photo of the blister. Please provide your phone number to me and I'll text it to you.

Thanks for your courteous response and offer to assist.

XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please describe

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry to ask you more.

And I cannot give you my personal number due to company regulations.

You can describe me the lesion

I just want to rule whether it is a bacterial or viral in etiology.

Was the lesion filled with pus ?
Is there redness surrounding the blister ?
Is the surrounding tissue hard and warm ?

waiting for you reply,
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 40 minutes later
It is what I would call a "blood blister". It's a little larger than a nickel and obviously filled with blood. There is no pus or sign of infection. I could easily pop it with a needle and the blood would drain from it. There is less than 1/2 tsp of blood in the blister..I had the first one a month ago and I accidently caused the blood to come out. It eventually turned into a scab and has nearly disappeared.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hemorrhagic folliculitis

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks for the information.

The lesions appears to be a Hemorrhagic folliculitis. You are on the right track of treating it. It has to be broken and the blood drained from the lesion. After that do apply a antibacterial cream like MUPIROCIN. This will prevent infections and ensure early healing.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Raju A.T