What causes blistered, crusty, reddish and dry area on chin?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: First I began with a breakout on my chin 1 week ago. It was puffy, then blistered, crusty, redish and dry and not really going away. Then my cheek area (ear to middle of fatty part of my cheek) did the same thing but stuck in the puffy stage, adding new puffy spots.24 hrs. ago it appeared below my lip and is now just as puffy as the other parts. I am 60 yrs. old, female. This kinda of reminds me of poison oak but I haven't been near any.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tooth infection, folliculitis, antibitics

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
The blistered, crusty, reddish and dry area could be because of the tooth infection or gum infection resulting in pus discharging sinus tract or it can be because of the hair follicle infection leading to pus formation and breaking out resulting in pus discharging sinus tract. It can be because of viral infection also(you are more prone to develop such infection if you have diabetes).
You can consult a oral physician and take a radiograph like OPG((Orthopantomogram) to rule out tooth infection. You have to get a complete blood count done to rule out blood sugar level.
After consulting the physician, you can take a course of antibiotics like amoxicillin 500mg and metronidazole 400mg tid for 5 days (if you are not allergic). Do saline gargling.
If there is a tooth infection then you have to get the tooth treated with RCT or extraction. If there is gum infection then you have to get your teeth cleaned.
If it is a viral infection, then you have to take a course of antiviral drugs and topical antiviral ointments.
I hope my answer will help you, take care.
If any queries are there, then you can reply me back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju