What causes blinking of the eyes?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Problem with eyes. It's like I blinked my eyes for a second but don't recall blinking them. Had eyes dilated and checked and all is fine.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Decreased blinking is seen in weakness of muscle.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having decreased blinking of the eyes. Decreased blinking of the eyes is usually because of weakness of the orbicularis oculi muscle which is responsible for blinking. You need to use artificial tears eye drops in this condition to prevent dryness of eyes.
Please give me more details like
Do you have decreased blinking of the eyes?
Any other problem like watering, redness, pain, dryness, diminution of vision?

Please do mention answers for the above questions so that I can answer your question more accurately.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 30 minutes later
It is like it is black for a second as though you blinked your eyes closed, but don't recall blinking them. No to other questions. Don't know what diminution of vision is.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It indicates a transient loss of vision.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

Sorry I got your question correct now, it seems from the history that you had a episode of sudden black out of vision which lasted for a second.

It is called as transient loss of vision or amaurosis fugax. It is caused by transient ischemia and it typically lasts for few seconds with complete recovery.

The common causes from the eye causing transient loss of vision are prodromal symptoms of retinal artery occlusion, vascular diseases....
Since you have undergone eye examination and it is normal it rules out causes from the eye.
The common causes are aura of migraine, dizziness, hypotension, hypoglycemia.

Just look for any of the above mentioned causes and if any one of them are present correction of the underlying problem is sufficient

If the condition is recurrent it requires systemic evaluation to rule out vascular diseases affecting the carotid arteries.

Since your eye examination is normal you need to consult your physician if you have recurrent episodes of black outs of vision.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards

Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 27 minutes later
My eye Doctor did not think this was related to Carotid Arteries. He said he thought I was to young. I am 58 years old. I have an appointment with my GP on Aug. 15 and will tell. Him.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do consult your GP for evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up.

Since eye examination is normal you need to rule out other causes as a underlying cause.
Do consult your physician for examination.
If no underlying cause is found out, then you need not worry.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you.

With regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
I did have my carotid arteries checked about 1 yr. and a half ago and all was fine. Should I be more at ease since that was the case?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry as carotids are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up.

Since carotid examination was normal you need to worry. Once the eye conditions and the vascular causes of the carotids are ruled out only benign causes needs to be considered like aura of migraine, dizziness, hypotension, hypoglycemia...
You need to worry about them and need to get evaluation if the episodes are recurrent.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you.

With regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 10 hours later
Even if it was about a year and a half ago since they were checked?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
First common causes have to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

The involvement of the carotids has to be suspected after ruling out the common conditions like migraine, dizziness,hypotension and hypoglycemia.

Only medical examination to look for bruit which indicates any obstructions of the carotid is sufficient if you have undergone previous examination of the carotids by ultrasound doppler.

Hence I advice you to consult your physician to rule out these common conditions and then you can think of rare things like vascular diseases of the carotids.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj