What causes blinking color lights in eyes when diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Ihada circle of blinking color lights in my eyes that grew larger and than stopped after about 15 minutes. I have Diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma. I will make an appointment with my eye doctor. Could this be a sign of something else?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms are seen in glaucoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care Magic.

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I will be answering your question.

I reviewed your history.
These symptoms of seeing a circle of blinking color lights is called as colored halos. These are typically and characteristically seen in glaucoma. When the intraocular pressure raises, there will be corneal edema and this will cause these symptoms of seeing colored halos.

Since you are already on treatment for glaucoma with Trupost and Allphagan eye drops, I advice you to go for evaluation of glaucoma in the form of intraocular pressure measurement.

Hope this information is helpful to you.
Do write back to me for further questions.

Thank you
With regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 4 minutes later
thank you, I will make an appointment for a pressure check.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for writing to Health care Magic.

Thank you
With regards
Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist